Downloaded the 10.8.4 Update package and did a manual install at a time
suitable to me.  Mac would not re-start automatically after the installation.
Tried several times and ended up with the plain white screen.  Physically
powered the machine down and then manually re-started.
All now works fine.  Appears to be quite a bit zippier, or is that just my
imagination?

On another topic.  What would be the benefit of upgrading my Mac Mini to the
latest model, and if I do, which one would be best?  I do like the Mac Mini
which I have been using since the first one came out.  I had a look at the 27"
iMac a few days ago and was quite disappointed in that Apple had dropped the
optical drive and Firewire.

John Thompson
WAMUG #861

Mac Mini