I have been following Ronni's suggestion that I close applications with Command
Option Q (haven't had any more episodes of 'forgetfulness' by the Mac). I just
wanted to mention that there are a few applications that do not respond to that
command, namely iTunes and Photoshop CS6. Just another oddity, I guess.

Thanks for the help!
Pat