Marcus,

Out of interest, what options does the sound preferences window show for your
sound output?

The reason I ask is that somehow I managed to load an odd sound app that
corrupted the sound preferences and it took ages to get rid of. It showed up in
the sound preference options and also disabled the internal speaker in my Mac
Mini.  I can't recall it's name.

Whilst I resolved that issue some time ago, now and again the Mac Mini (10.8.5)
loses it's internal speaker sound. It is resolved by running Onyx, the free
maintenance programme that never fails to return crispness to the computer, and
resolve the sound problems.

Tim