Hi Ronni

Thanks for your help. I can't be sure that the two problems are linked, two out
of two linked events is 100% of a very small sample.

RSSI is -47, so that does not seem to be the problem. I don't know if it was
this level before I changed the batteries.

It is a POP account which was originally set up automatically by inputting the
email address and password.

The incoming Mail Server is mail.iinet.net.au.

The SMTP is iinet.net.au, when I choose to edit the SMTP list it shows that
this is the description and that the server name is mail.iinet.net.au.

The default ports are selected, as is SSL.

Last night I got a message that the server could not be contacted through the
default ports so I changed it to custom port 995 and that worked. Since then
the computer has been rebooted and it is back to the original settings.

At present both mail and the mouse are working.

I forgot to say in the original message that it is a MacBook Air 13" 1.3 GHz
i5DC/4GB/128GB running OS 10.8.5.

This morning I also had a problem with Mail on my iPad 4 running iOS7. One of
my accounts could receive mail but not send it. The SMTP was set to custom port
110, I tried custom port 995, powered off and on, all to no avail. So I deleted
the account and set it up again, works fine on custom port 995 (selected
automatically). I think we have gremlins!

I could not think of a reason why the two events should be linked, they are
both communications problems but different systems. I shall just have to hope
it doesn't happen again. If it does I shall check the RSSI as well as the Mail
settings.

Best wishes from Diana

Sent from my iPad