On 27 Nov 2013, at 11:46 am, Rick Armstrong <a...@iinet.net.au> wrote:

> A client is sending me some photos but all I get as the attchment is a file
> winmail.dat (6.5 MB), the email is that size but I am unable to open the file
> winmail.dat (6.5 MB).
> I have had these before from Windows people but the worst thing is that it is
> the fault of APPLE or worst still MAIL.
> Any help would be appreciated, we all know about "it is not me it is you"
> attitude that PC users have. Thanks, Rick.

As Ronni says, TNEF's Enough is the solution. I must point out, however, that
in no way is this Apple's fault. The same problem would occur for anyone not
using Microsoft Outlook as their email client. winmail.dat files can only be
created and and read by this horrible software. The fault lies entirely in
Microsoft's corner. Windows users who prefer to use Thunderbird or similar
would encounter the same problem.

The problem with most Windows users, in my experience, is that they only ever
use the software that comes with the computer, which invariably means Microsoft
Office, which gets used for everything they do. This creates the assumption
that their experience represents the "normal" way for computers to work, which
is usually far from the truth, and any variances from what they expect becomes
the fault of everyone else.

winmail.dat files are definitely a product of one program - Microsoft Outlook -
and as such are a completely proprietary format, but are regarded as an
"industry standard", along with the other Office formats. I am always amused
when I hear people talk of Apple's "walled garden" approach to their products.
There is no higher walled garden than that created by Microsoft and their
products. Fortunately, with growing popularity of iOS-based products from
Apple, more and more people are beginning to realise this.

Rant over...

FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
Perth, Western Australia
Phone (618) 9332 6482    Mob 0403 046 948