Hi Peter,

1. I would definitely recommend you purchase a 3TB Time Capsule for Time
Machine to backup 5 MacBooks. I use a 3TB Time Capsule 802.11n (4th Generation)
to backup ONE (1) MacBook Pro.
Time Machine needs a lot of free space to work efficiently. Problems occur when
there is not enough free space on the disk.
<http://store.apple.com/au/product/ME182X/A/airport-time-capsule-3tb>

2. Re: your wife's doubling the size of her TM backup "Sparsebundle" would have
happened by NOT selecting "Reuse Backup" when setting up for the first backup
of new machine.
I would delete your wife's "sparsebundle" from the Time Capsule Disk.
I seem to remember sending you details some time back how to delete
sparsebundle from Time Capsule.

3. Re: Macbook 4.1 model is (13-inch, late 2008) 2.4GHz and 2GB memory
 I would suggest you install more memory... It can take 6.0 GB.
If this is the MB you have (or going to have) its Maximum OS is Mac OS X 10.7.5

Sent from Ronni's iPad