On 17 Dec 2013, at 9:39 pm, Peter Crisp <petercr...@westnet.com.au> wrote:

> Hi all, I am moving towards migrating my iTunes to my 'new' old Macbook from
> my 'work' Windows laptop. The Windows configuration is that iTunes is mapped
> to my external drive (formatted for Windows and Mac use). I'm moving to a
> 2008 Macbook 4.1 (circa 2008 vintage) that I've inherited from #2 son. It's
> got a clean instal of Snow Leopard (and a 120GB SSD so pretty quick) and I've
> yet to run iTunes and in turn set up the default folders and library files.
> This is an interim solution until I get my Macbook Pro Retina - migration to
> that should be more straightforward.
>
> I read previously to hold a key down whist setting up iTunes for the first
> time to set up a different path than the default path is necessary. My
> library is 220GB so way to big to hold in the C:\ drive. What key do I hold
> down? Do I attach the external drive first and then direct iTunes to the root
> folder during the setup process?
>
> Also there is the migration of the library.xml files from the Windows machine
> and all my app files (.ipa) over to the Macbook from my synched iOS devices.
> Are these files manually migrated or do I have have to download them all over
> again?
>
> I had a quick search in the archives and couldn't quickly see answers to this.
>
> Much obliged to any assistance on this.
>
> Regards
>
> Pete.

Simply plug that external drive you're using on your Windows machine into your
Macbook and wait for it to mount. IMPORTANT NOTE: if the external drive is
formatted as NTFS you will not be able to make any changes to your music
library. You may have other problems if iTunes requires write-access to the
drive (Mac OS X can read NTFS drives out of the box, but not write to them
without additional software).

Launch iTunes on your MacBook while holding down the Option (Alt) key. A small
dialog will appear giving you the opportunity to nominate the location of your
iTunes library. Simply choose the iTunes Folder on the external drive and
you're good to go.

FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
Perth, Western Australia
Phone (618) 9332 6482    Mob 0403 046 948