I have recently purchased a Macbook Pro for my 10 yo and it is running
Mavericks. I noticed subsequently that it is now reporting in my “Find My
iPhone” devices listing – as “Macbook 2000”.

Is it a Maveriks feature that is now making it report or is it able to be set
to report in "Find my iPhone" for any OSX? Also, where does the device name
arise from – I presume in System Preferences I can find a Computer Name
somewhere and amend it appropriately to make it more meaningful for me.

Thanks

Pete…