Hi Brett,

I can't help with the first one, but I have come across a similar issue
regarding certificates.

This is all going by memory:
Don't click Connect

Click on Show Certificate instead.
At the top of the certificate it will show a bit of text that may be
interesting to read. In particular look for any drop down box and as long as it
looks legitimate, click -Always Connect.

See how that goes.

A further option relates to  these certificates being stored in Keychain
Access, which is in Applications:Utilities

In the left pane of Keychain Access is a heading called certificates. I was
going to say have a poke around in there and see if there are any problems. But
using the words 'poke around' is fraught with risk and danger, so great care
needs to be taken to not delete or change anything that could cause you a
problem. Sometimes there might be two certificates, one outdated, one current.
If it were me doing my own poking around, I'd delete the out of date one.

Hope this helps, - yes it is a frustrating thing to have to address

Tim