On 2 Feb 2014, at 2:42 pm, Paul Willemse <pjwille...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Ronni
>
> I have not yet updated to Mavericks as before I left there were apparently
> still problems. I did a search on the mailing list but did not find anything
> that indicated a specific fix or update.
>
> So it looks like the only way will be to upgrade and see, I was not even
> aware that Mavericks had been updated.

Hi Paul,

Mavericks OS X 10.9 has had an Update to Mail plus an update to OS X 10.9.1

If you make sure you do the Preparation before upgrading to Mavericks and then
follow the 'Installing & After Installation completes' as below you should not
experience problems.

First thing to do is:

Get your Mac ready for Mavericks OS X 10.9

INSTALLING MAVERICKS OS X 10.9
DON’T FORGET TO BACKUP FIRST:

1. Backup your system BEFORE installing
2. Repair Permissions before installing
3. Turn OFF Time Machine in System Preferences
4. Unmount & Disconnect any External USB & Firewire Drives /TimeMachine
5. Download the Mavericks OS X 10.9 upgrade app from the Mac App Store.
6. Run the Mavericks OS X 10.9 upgrade app to Install Mavericks
** Apple warning for installing Updates:
Do not interrupt the installation process once you have started to update your
system.

What to do after installation of Lion-Mountain Lion-or Mavericks completes and
your Mac restarts
Spotlight

1. In most cases, as soon as Lion or Mountain Lion or Mavericks starts up the
first time, Spotlight begins indexing (or re-indexing) all the files on all
mounted volumes.
This process can take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours, depending
on how many files you have and the speed of your CPU and disk.

During this time, you’ll notice a lot of disk activity (along with, perhaps,
somewhat sluggish overall performance), and you’ll see a pulsing dot in the
center of Spotlight’s magnifying glass icon on the right side of your menu bar.
(Clicking this icon during indexing displays an estimate of the time remaining
for each volume.)

Software Update

2. After Spotlight has finished indexing the Volume: Run Software Update
The next thing you should do is to update Mac OS X itself (and any other
crucial Apple software) to the latest version. Sometimes Apple releases bug
fixes and security updates almost immediately after a major upgrade, and if any
such urgent updates are available, it’s in your best interest to install them
right away.

Shortly after your Mac starts up under Lion or Mountain Lion for the first
time, Software Update should run automatically; if it finds updated software,
it displays an alert “Software updates are available for your computer......”

If Software Update does not run, choose Apple  > Software Update. Software
Update checks if a newer version of Mac OS X (or any of the software installed
with it) is available—and if so, offers to download and install it.

Repair Permissions

3. Repair Permissions

Let Apple Applications Update their Databases

4. Open Apple Mail from the Applications folder and let it update the Mail
Database

5. Open iPhoto from the Applications folder and let it update the iPhoto
Database

6. Open iTunes from the Applications folder and let it update the database

17" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Quad-Core i7 “Thunderbolt"
2.3GHz / 8GB / 750GB @ 7200rpm HD

OS X 10.9 Mavericks
Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)