On 7 Feb 2014, at 2:07 pm, Paul Willemse <pjwille...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Ronni

  Hi Paul,

> I have tried everything you suggested with no change at all.
>
> I do think there is something wrong on my Mac, when I close the Message
> Viewer window everything gets updated when I open it again. Next I will try
> to download the latest version of Mail and see what happens.

Didn't you run Software Update and install all updates it showed?
What version of Apple Mail... Do you have... version 7.1 (1827)?

Keep Activity Window Open -  Mail/Window/Activity [or option/command/zero]
You can then see what activity is going on... interchanging information between
your Mac Mail client and the Gmail server.
You will likely see for quite a length of time, changing labels, updating
caches, etc.
Especially if you have quite a few 'Labels/folders' on the Gmail web interface.

I have read that POP Gmail erratically syncs.

A bit of news that might help your Gmail problems with Apple Mail Mavericks.
"Apple seeds fifth OS X 10.9.2 Mavericks beta to developers

Apple's latest 13C53 build comes one week after the fourth beta version of the
upcoming maintenance update was released earlier this month.

As with the last build, Apple asks developers to concentrate on SMB2, Mail,
Messages, Graphics Drivers, VoiceOver and VPN.
Mail and Messages have been seeing trouble since Mavericks first launched in
October, with affected users complaining of Gmail compatibility issues and
suboptimal Smart Mailbox behaviour.

Developers can download the latest Mavericks beta via Software Update or
Apple's developer portal. "

> BTW My Mac is a Mid 2010 Mac Pro,
> Processor  2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon,
> Memory  10 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC
>
> Thanks again for all your assistance, will let you know if I find a solution.
>
> Regards,
>
> Paul

17" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Quad-Core i7 “Thunderbolt"
2.3GHz / 8GB / 750GB @ 7200rpm HD

OS X 10.9.1 Mavericks
Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)