On 12 Feb 2014, at 7:44 am, Pat <clamsh...@iinet.net.au> wrote:

> I don’t use Pages very often, but recently I had a need to convert an .rtfd
> to a .pdf. The latest version of Pages, 5.0.1, can not open the .rtfd (greyed
> out) , but Pages 4.something can.  Why on earth did Apple remove this
> capability? Fortunately for me, the older version remains on my system on a
> different hard disk.
>
> Cheers,
> Pat

The best way to deal with .rtfd files is the "lowly" TextEdit. This totally
underestimated application is on everyone's Mac, and uses .rtfd as its default
file format. You can created PDFs directly from it via the Print Menu (Save as
PDF), but you can also save in Word format, which can then be read by any
version of Pages.

TextEdit is a very capable word processor in its own right, and is more than
enough for many routine word processing tasks. Like many other apps that come
supplied with your Mac, it is often overlooked when looking for a solution.

The latest version of Pages is actually 5.1, and has many more features and
increased compatibility than 5.0.1. When Pages 5 is installed on your Mac,
existing versions such as Pages 4 are not removed. the changes were seen as
necessary because of the lack of file and feature compatibility between the Mac
and iOS devices such as the iPad. Apple have promiser that they are working
towards most of the features we were used in version 4. I notice that the
ability to swap between Word Processing and Desktop Publishing modes has also
returned, but as far I know this has not been documented.

FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
Perth, Western Australia
Phone (618) 9332 6482    Mob 0403 046 948