Hi Bill,

>  Hoping Pages is backward compatible.

Backwards compatibility means that a newer version can open documents created
with older versions, not the other way around.

Pages 5 is for Mavericks. Pages 5 doesn’t have the same set of features as
Pages 4. It also has a different file format.
As a consequence, opening and working on a Pages 4  (Pages '09) document in
Pages 5 converts the document so it can no longer be opened in Pages 4, and the
conversion can alter its appearance.

Pages 5 can't open Pages '08 (v.3) documents. Pages 5 can open Pages '09
documents but Pages '09 can't open Pages 5 documents.
----
A Pages’09 document cannot be opened in Pages’08

If this document has been saved by Pages '09, Pages '08 will not be able to
open it. Only Pages 09 will open the document.

If you can open the document in Pages 09, while in Pages 09 go to the menu
heading File and select Save As, not save. There is a option at the bottom to
“Save A Copy As” and it lets you save it in formats that previous years Pages
applications can open.

I have both iWork '09 (Pages 4) and the new iWork apps. Pages 5.1 installed.
I have the iWork '09 Retail boxed set, if you find that you will need to
install Pages'09 I could post/lend the 'iWork'09 Retail boxed set' to you so
you could install iWork'09.

17" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Quad-Core i7 “Thunderbolt"
2.3GHz / 8GB / 750GB @ 7200rpm HD

OS X 10.9.1 Mavericks
Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)