Thank you Susan,

I recently had the same thing done to my MacBookPro17".

Could be that, I was trying to be good and reduce used space on the drive.
spring clean and all that.
So, I should look for the setting about removing the messages from the server.
Bigpond must love me if I have 92 000 messages sitting there, I thought they
were removed after downloading or after a specified period. Time to check
preferences.

The Samsung SSD 1Tb is making a big difference in performance, even in this old
beastie. :-) Thank You Daniel if you're 'listening'.

Brian