Thanks Ronni, that explains things in part.  But what about import from either
a camera or an existing DV file?
Severin

On 1 Apr 2014, at 5:08 pm, Ronda Brown <ro...@mac.com> wrote:

> Hi Severin,
>
> "The SD setting in iMovie 10 export is not 4:3.  It is still 16:9. I can't
> understand why Apple didn't make it easy and just put an aspect ration
> setting on the export/share menu like previous iMovie, instead of burying the
> workaround in a crop setting, but anyway, it works..
>
> <https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5590792>
>
> Once you set the crop area to the full frame as noted in the previous linked
> discussion, just do a normal Share - doesn't matter whether you select SD,
> HD, etc.
>
> The file will be in 16:9, but will have the full 4:3 frames - i.e. the
> original 4:3 frames will not be cropped and stretched like they are by
> default. If you view this movie on a 16:9 TV, it will show the full 4:3
> frames in the middle with black bars on the side - just like it does when you
> watch an old 4:3 TV show on an HDTV.  If you watch it on a 4:3 TV, it will
> fill the entire screen.
>
> There is no need to "export as a 4:3 file" in this sense...."
>
> Cheers,
> Ronni
>
> Sent from Ronni's iPad4
>

> On 1 Apr 2014, at 4:25 pm, Severin Crisp <sevcr...@westnet.com.au> wrote:
>
>> I have iMovie 10.0.2 but can not get in to change between SD and HD formats.
>>  In iMovie6HD this was an option presented right at the beginning of
>> starting a new movie/project.   Currently iMovie seems locked to 720p
>> corresponding to the last footage imported.   Subsequent SD footage remains
>> constrained to this it seems.
>> How do I set the format?   Can not find any reference in the online help
>> files and early versions seem to have presented the requisite dialog.
>> Severin Crisp

             Assoc Prof R Severin Crisp, FAIP, FIP, CPhys
15 Thomas St, Mount Clarence, Albany, 6330, Western Australia
                  ph (08) 9842 1950 ( Int'l +61 8 9842 1950)
                           mail to: sevcr...@westnet.com.au