Hi, a colleague of mine has an MBA around mid 2009 vintage which just has the
grey screen full tie with the spinning bar thing. I think he said it is a 20GB
SSD.

Anyway, he had it pretty full and then did a Mavericks update and it seemed to
become problematic from that point.

I've tried the start in Safe Mode and Recovery mode and the Command P and R on
start up. Have left them a long time on each different attempt and it has
remained on the grey screen with the spinning wheel.

He has at his home a Seagate wireless disc which holds his backup and he has
given me permission to do a full erase if I can even get to the point of doing
that.

The problem with an MBA is no peripherals or Disc drive to put an OSX disc in
how does one get to the net when it is in this state to download a new OSX.

But my first problem is to get to a screen where I can get Disk Utility to do
an Erase or anything even.

Any tips from anyone on this?

Had quite a bit of review of the Apple Support and done all I can see there.

Regards

Pete