Thank you RonniUnfortunately no luck.Here's what I've done:

        repair disk permissions

        restart

        Checked System Prefs - there is no Flash Player pref (new laptop,
flash not previously installed)

        go to adobe’s get flash download page

        download it (tried both Safari and Firefox)

        quit browser

        launch flash installer

        Installer progress window says “retrieving install" (progress bar
says 0%)

        Installer seems to hang

        nothing changes - even if i wait 5 minutes

        have to Force quit the installer

        cheers

        blitto