Hello Marcus,

I don't know how you originally setup & configured your web Gmail in your
Google Account... or what settings you have...
Do you have default settings such as:
Log in to your Gmail account (using this link or whichever URL
you normally use for a Google Apps account with a custom domain).

From the gear pop-up menu at the top of the page, choose Settings, and then
click Forwarding and POP/IMAP.

In the IMAP Access section, make sure Enable IMAP is selected.

Leave all other settings unchanged. But, if you’ve previously changed any of
the defaults, this is a good time to put them back.

Under “When I mark a message in IMAP as deleted,” make sure “Auto-Expunge on -
Immediately update the server. (default)” is selected.

Under “Folder Size Limits,” make sure “Do not limit the number of messages in
an IMAP folder (default)” is selected.

If you made any changes, click Save Changes, and then go to the Labels tab:

 Make sure all the Show in IMAP checkboxes for All Mail, Sent Mail, Drafts, All
Mail, Spam, and Trash are selected. (The rest are up to you.)

 Gmail works best with Mavericks Mail when you leave everything at its
default—such as not hiding the All Mail label, as was once a good idea.

Limit concurrent logins.
Gmail permits 15 simultaneous IMAP connections for each account. That sounds
like a lot, but a single copy of Mail uses up several of those at once (in an
effort to be more efficient).
If you log in to the same Gmail account on a couple of computers and a couple
of iOS devices, you can quickly chew up all of those allowed connections, after
which one or more of your devices will stop connecting and start giving you
error messages.
So, try to reduce the number of devices logged in to your Gmail account at once.