There's some anecdotal stuff about early work with computers in my MT article:

A Complicated Recipe : Diversity and Infocap Content [MT105]
http://www.aoi.com.au/MTSite/MT105.htm

You can google
"Dissolving the Device-Handler Code"
for the section.

At the time, I was programming a PDP-8 computer to run the fall-back
system for the UWA Library (the full system was run on the WARCC
PDP-10, but that was months late in getting to the running stage).

It's amazing in today's terms, that an extra 4K of computer memory
cost enough that we clubbed together to buy the PDP-8 a lottery ticket
to finance the purchase.

Another memory, not in the article, is that the operating system for
the PDP-8 was "tailored" in a lengthy process after selecting the bits
of the system you needed. I would start the assembly process at the
end of Friday afternoon before going home, it was still running on
Monday morning after the weekend, taking almost 3 days to complete.

David Noel