Hi Jon,

It is difficult for us to give support through a third party - we need to
sometimes ask for more information from the user, then give suggestions, and
receive the results of the suggestions.
Conversing through a third party to pass on the info to the user and then send
back this information to the third party to send to the list, is time consuming
and more difficult.
It would be better if your friend/s joined the WAMUG mailing list so they could
directly post to the list and receive help.

NOTE: If the lady has installed MacKeeper we will need to give her instructions
how to correctly uninstall the terrible "Junk ware" known to cause all sorts of
problems.

But from what the lady has described to you below she might have 'Smart
Shopper' or 'MacSmart ' installed on her Mac?
If so there could be a trojan - sometimes referred to as "Vidx" installed.

Ask her to: Check in the Safari menu bar - Safari > Preferences > Extensions
1. If "Macsmart" or any other "Smart Shopper" type extension is there, select
it and
Uninstall the "MacSmart" extension.
Do the equivalent in Firefox and Chrome, if she uses either of those browsers.

2. In the Applications folder she may (or may not) have an item with the name
"Vidx," or "MacSmart," or perhaps by some other name. If so, it should be
deleted.

3. Restart the Mac and Restart Safari

Sent from Ronni's iPad4