Further to my efforts yesterday to sort out Safari, I followed David’s tip and
downloaded TSM Adware Removal Tool, or AdMedic as it now is.  It found stuff to
remove in Firefox and Google Chrome, which had not displayed any symptoms, but
nothing in Safari.  I went a stage further and took a system snapshot and
Safari Extensions showed “youtube downloader” which I have no recollection of.
 On removing this all is now well again.  Whether this is the actual culprit or
just the access point I do not know.  I now have AdMedic close at hand for
future need and made a grateful donation!
Severin Crisp

             Assoc Prof R Severin Crisp, FAIP, FIP, CPhys
15 Thomas St, Mount Clarence, Albany, 6330, Western Australia
                  ph (08) 9842 1950 ( Int'l +61 8 9842 1950)
                           mail to: sevcr...@westnet.com.au