Hi Stephen,

On your iMac in a Contacts > Preferences - Accounts - you should have iCloud
'enable this account' should be ticked.... NOT On My Mac.
And make sure the Contacts you are adding are added to your iCloud Group and
not to 'On My Mac'. Non iCloud contacts will not sync.

It's the same with Calendar  only Contacts & Calendars in 'iCloud Groups' will
sync.

Open Contacts
Choose Contacts > Preferences
Click Accounts.
Make sure that your iCloud account has the correct name in the Apple ID field.
Turn iCloud Contacts off and back on
Quit Contacts
Choose Apple () > System Preferences and click iCloud.
Deselect Contacts.
Click Keep Contacts.
Close System Preferences and wait about a minute.
Open System Preferences and choose iCloud.
Select Contacts.
Open Contacts
Restart your computer
Restart your computer and check the issue.

Sent from Ronni's iPad4