Hi Robert,

When you mentioned previously you tried re-installing the OS X, did you install
the OS X 10.6.8 Combo Update?
If not follow these instructions:

Disconnect any devices connected to your Mac.

Install OS X 10.6.8 Combo Update

1.  Download the OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo from here:
<http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399>
2.  Shutdown your Mac
3.  Startup in SAFE MODE -
     Press the power button - then Immediately after you hear the startup tone,
hold the Shift key.
The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone, but
not before the tone.
4. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple icon and the progress
indicator (looks like a spinning gear)..
5.  Run a Permissions Repair from Disk Utility.
6.  Run the COMBO update and allow the Mac to reboot. (don't interrupt the
installation)
7.  Login as normal but immediately run Permissions Repair again from Disk
Utility.
8.  Reboot Mac again.

13-inch MacBook Air (April 2014)
1.7GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost to 3.3GHz
8GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
512GB PCIe-based Flash Storage