On 22 Sep 2014, at 8:26 am, Ronda Brown <ro...@mac.com> wrote:

>> On 22 Sep 2014, at 7:35 am, Peter Hinchliffe <hinch...@multiline.com.au>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> On 19 Sep 2014, at 4:05 pm, Susan Hastings <susanhasti...@mac.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I went and had a look at the iPhone 6 and 6+ this afternoon, just to see
>>> what they look like in the flesh, so to speak. I have to say that I’m not
>>> sure I like the new design. Has anyone else had a ‘hands on’?
>>
>> I found the iPhone 6 surprisingly comfortable to hold, but not so much with
>> the 6 Plus. I'm not sure I need to carry around anything of the size of the
>> 6 Plus. I note that unlike the iPhone 5, the neither of the 6 models use the
>> extra screen real estate for yet another row of icons in the Home screen.
>> There is just empty space at the bottom of the screen. I expect things like
>> this will be addressed in future revisions.
>
> I think this is for "Reachability" in iOS 8, which aims to reduce the amount
> you need to stretch your thumb to the very top of the screen.
> It's very simple to use, as you'd expect such implementation would be from
> Apple.
>
> A double tap (not press) on the home key will see the screen jump down,
> bringing the top part of the display to the middle.

I have now been very reliably informed that the extra space at the bottom has
been deliberately left empty to allow for "Zoom View". A demo of this can be
seen at https://www.apple.com/au/iphone-6/display/.

It turns out that if you don't want to use Zoom View you can actually drag
extra icons into the empty space.

FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
Perth, Western Australia
Phone (618) 9332 6482    Mob 0403 046 948