Hi Alan,

iTunes does not save a separate backup everytime you sync your phone or
manually perform a backup. Only one normal iPhone backup is kept, it's actually
an incremental backup in that only data that has changed is actually backed up.

The most recent backup or the last backup of the previous iOS version are the
only backups that you can restore.

"Backups that have a date and time stamp in the backup name are copies of
backups created by restoring the iOS device.
The date and time in the left column are when the restore-from-backup occurred.
The date and time in the right column are the last synced date; this shows how
current the data is."

<http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4946>
----
When you restore the iPhone, it takes the current backup of that iPhone and
adds the date to the name.
iTunes then creates a new backup of that iPhone.
See the bottom of this page.
 <http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4946>

+If you choose to restore the software to factory settings, iTunes will ask you
if you want to back up the iPhone and iPad _The backup created when you restore
a device is separate from the one created when the device is synced._ The
backup created prior to a restore is marked in the syncing preferences of
iTunes with the date and time when the backup was created.+

That's why you see two backups.

Sent from Ronni's iPad4