I've had the same happen with a client's machine.
It won't read burnt disks on 10.6.8 on either an internet burner and an
external burner).
Yet they worked ok in other computers with a different OS.
A full erase of the system and a clean install with manually moving the data
back. And the disks worked ok and read fine.

(This was after trying multiple other things to try solve the issue as well.
Worked through lots of different things, nothing solved it. So appeared to be
something corrupted over time,….).
And it's still working ok to this day.

So though I can't offer an exact "why" or "what",…just thought I'd mention that.
May not be the same issue as yours, but thought I'd mention it anyway.

Something to try though, could be just check for updates. Then re-install
Toast. I also had a feeling there was a Toast plug in that could be removed,
but don't have that in front of me at the moment. (There also used to be a
"toast burner" add-on that helped sometimes as well. (if I can find my notes on
it from a long time ago,…..)

Kind regards
Daniel

Sent from my iPhone 6

---
Daniel Kerr
MacWizardry

Phone: 0414 795 960
Email: <daniel AT macwizardry.com.au>
Web:   <http://www.macwizardry.com.au>

**For everything Apple**

NOTE: Any information provided in this email may be my personal opinion and as
such should be taken accordingly, and may not be the views of MacWizardry. Any
information provided does not offer or warrant any form of warranty or accept
liability. It would be appreciated that if any information in this email is to
be disseminated, distributed or copied, that permission by the author be
requested.