> On 20 Nov 2014, at 12:12 pm, Michael Hawkins
> <michael.hawk...@mjhawkins.com.au> wrote:
>
> Thanks Ronni but my point remains valid. Apple should warn that iOS will
> degrade performance. It stands to profit if it does not warn, and arguably it
> is misleading and deceptive conduct if it does not warn.

Not really with you on this one Michael. Apple have always been in a unique
position when compared with its fragmented competitors Microsoft and now Google
(Android). Apple have complete control over the hardware and software. As they
continue to improve their hardware with advancing technology, so to they are
able to update their software to take advantage of those improvements. The fact
that are still able to support hardware as old as the iPad 2 as actually quite
remarkable. Not to expect that some performance reduction in software on these
devices in software which has been optimised for the newer hardware is a little
unrealistic. When I upgraded my iPad 2 to 8.1 it was in the full expectation of
seeing some loss of performance. Part of this was also due to the fact that my
iPad 2 is chock full of three years-worth of software and data. I’m sure that
if I was able to find the time and inclination to remove some of the dross I
would also see an improvement in performance.

Apple are, after all, a hardware company, unlike either of its competitors
mentioned above, who are unable to optimise their software for any particular
hardware configuration, leading to what has generally become an insecure and
out-of-date mess. Far from being misleading, Apple always make it quite clear
just what hardware models are compatible with whatever upgrade they are
releasing at the time. The pressure on them from the public and the Tech Press
is immense each year as the demand for the “latest and greatest” becomes ever
more intense. I see nothing misleading or deceptive in their marketing conduct.
Almost all of their marketing is about their latest products, not the ones they
turned out three or more years ago.

FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
Perth, Western Australia
Phone (618) 9332 6482    Mob 0403 046 948