Hello again

First I’ll put the question, then give some background details.

For a clean install of OS X Mavericks to an erased HD, do I need to install OS
X Snow Leopard 10.6.8 as an intermediate step?

The backgound.  My late 2009 iMac suffered a breakdown a few weeks ago.  With
wamug help (particularly from Ronni) the iMac is now functioning well.  As the
“cause” of the breakdown was not identified, the iMac is on a “use with care
but don’t rely on it” status.

I want to do a comple erasure of the hard drive (and zero all data) and
re-install Mavericks.

My plan was to use the original Snow Leopard 6.1 install DVDs and upgrade the
iMac to 10.6.8.  Then install Mavericks via a bootable installer of the app.
Next update Mavericks with the OS X 10.9.5 combo update, and finally install
the OS X Supplementary update.   I realise other apps and data would have to be
re-installed, and preferences all set up again.

I have the Mavericks bootable installer and appropriate update .dmg files for
Snow Leopard and Mavericks.

My belief was that Mavericks will only install over Snow Leopard 10.6.8.
However on perusing the Macworld articles on installing Mavericks, I found an
interesting postscript, copied here in full:  "Note that the installer lets you
choose any drive that has OS X 10.6.8 or later installed or any blank drive.
(The latter is what you would choose if you wanted to do a “clean” install that
contains none of your data, applications, or settings from your current
installation of OS X.)”     === Note the “… or any blank drive”!

Hence the question, "Do I need to install OS X Snow Leopard as an intermediate
step?"  Or was that applicable only when the user wanted to download Mavericks
from the App Store?

Regards,
Alan

Alan Smith
 Late 2012 iMac 27" Intel Quad Core i5  Fusion 3.2GHz 8G RAM - OSX 10.9.5
Mavericks
 Late 2009 iMac 21.5" Intel Core 2 Duo 3.06GHz 12G RAM - OSX 10.9.5 Mavericks
 iPhone5;  iPad2;  ATV2