-- 1. Using Safari, I find that trying to open a page which has Flash
content gives:

"Adobe Flash Player" is out of date.
The version of "Adobe Flash Player" on your system does not contain
the latest security updates and has been blocked. To continue using
"Adobe Flash Player", download an updated version from Adobe's
website.

-- However, if I click on "Download Flash..." and apparently do the
installation, the same message comes up with Safari, even after
closing and opening Safari. What can I do? If I open the same page
with Firefox, it works OK.

-- 2. If I open my gmail account with Safari, it opens and works OK,
but has a banner at the top:

This version of Safari is no longer supported. Please upgrade to a
supported browser. Dismiss.

-- I'm using OS X 10.6.8 and Safari 5.1.10. Safari doesn't seem to
have a "Check for updates" command. Any advice, please?

David Noel