Hi Marlene,

Did your iPad update to iOS 8.1.2 successfully?

If so Eject your iPad from iTunes
Disconnect the cable from your computer & iPad

Then do a Hard Reset
1.  Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button at the same time
for at least 10 seconds.
2.  Ignore the red slider that appears on the screen and keep holding both
buttons until the Apple logo appears.

Your iPad will restart.
Let us know if the reset fixes the problem.