Hi Marcus,

> On 24 Jan 2015, at 5:13 pm, Marcus F Harris <cryptodo...@me.com> wrote:
>
> I have been using Flip Labs “Memory Clean". It seems ok and certainly after I
> use it more useable memory appears.

I don't think you understand how virtual memory works. Technical computer users
consider memory optimisers snakeoil and have for years.
Read first about virtual memory. Then read some articles about why purging
"inactive" RAM is useless and harmful to computer performance.

<https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Performance/Conceptual/ManagingMemory/Articles/AboutMemory.html

<https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Performance/Conceptual/ManagingMemory/Articles/AboutMemory.html>>

If it makes you feel better to see all that green "free" RAM that is fine by
me, but thinking this is necessary ignores the technical reality of this kind
of software...
-----
/Begin Quote:
Having a low levels of free RAM will not harm your system at all, and will only
reduce its capacity to open more items. However, if you are regularly running
low on memory, even though programs like "purge" may show an immediate increase
in free RAM, this change is only temporary and will not help the system
optimize RAM usage. In fact, it may even show a small hit on performance.

The purge command and other memory cleaning routines simply bypass the system's
automatic memory management and clear out unused memory contents manually,
sometimes doing so by putting a large, temporary load on the system to stress
the RAM usage and squeezing the memory footprint of other programs to be as
small as possible.

When you run these utilities, you will see the green "free memory" portion of
the memory chart in Activity Monitor get larger, suggesting more RAM is now
available. However, while this technically does result in more RAM being
designated as "free," it is only a temporary measure since the system and
programs will progressively load this data back into RAM again, only now being
bottlenecked by the hard drive's slower speed and therefore will run a bit
slower than usual during this time.

To give an analogy of this process, consider RAM as the tabletop of a desk on
which you work. If the table is empty then there is space for you to put the
equipment you need for your job -- pens, papers, books, and other tools
analogous to applications you use in a computer. However, if the table is
smaller, you cannot put as many items on it, or if you do you will have less
overall space on which to work.

This is the same for computers, where if you load many programs, widgets, and
system tools, then the space remaining to do work will be more limited,
especially if you have only a limited amount of RAM to begin with.

Using memory cleaners is like shoving all of your pens, papers, and books into
a tight pile in one corner of the desk, and even putting some into the desk
drawers to clear as much of the tabletop as possible.

While doing this technically gives you more room in which to work, to get
things done you may need to sift through the pile and spread its contents out
again. This is what happens with the computer: after running "purge," when you
access various programs they will simply spread out and reclaim the RAM and
other memory components that you freed up.

Therefore, if you are constantly running low on memory and are seeing regular
slowdowns as a result, then upgrade your RAM (to at least double your current
amount, especially if you currently have only 4GB) instead of running memory
cleaning routines. Getting more RAM for your system would be like getting a
table top extension for your desk, so the computer can "spread out" your work,
be more efficient, and run at optimal speeds.
/End Quote

13-inch MacBook Air (April 2014)
1.7GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost to 3.3GHz
8GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
512GB PCIe-based Flash Storage

OS X Yosemite 10.10.1