In the view menu of Photos be sure that the Sidebar is shown (View > Show
Sidebar) - iPhoto events have been converted into albums and are in the albums
sections in a folder named "iPhoto events".
Can you double-click on a 'greyed box' and see an image?
I know you mentioned before you see a white box after you click.
Can you open any image under Albums in the Side?

The thumbnails are damaged and Photos doesn't have a specific First Aid
procedure to Rebuild Thumbnails like iPhoto does.

Something worth doing is - Boot the MBP into Recovery Volume (Command + R keys
down). Select Disk Utility and 'Repair Disk Permissions' and 'Repair Disk'.
Reboot normally and try Photos again.

I'll send you 'off-list' a screenshot of my opened Photos showing Albums - All
Photos -Faces etc FYI.

Sent from Ronni's iPad4