I cannot sign out of iCloud on my iMac via Apple - Preferences - iCloud.   I
get info message “Your iCloud account couldn’t be removed at this time.  Turn
off all iCloud services and try again".   The Keychain service cannot be
unchecked, which I assume is the cause.

I signed in to icloud.com (a mistake??) via Safari and attempted to sign out of
the Preferences account again, in case there was some interaction.  Then
checked the box to log out of all browsers.  This logged me out of icloud.com
but it no difference to my ability to sign out of the iCloud account via
Preferences.

I am not signed in to iCloud from any iOS device.

Regards,
Alan

Alan Smith
  Late 2012 iMac 27" Intel Quad Core i5  Fusion 3.2GHz 8G RAM - OSX 10.10.5
Yosemite