After backing everything up, and repairing permissions etc I started
downloading El Capitan.

My download of El Capitan choked and stuck on Paused, despite closing down
and starting the App store multiple times.[probably because I seem to
inexplicably lose the wifi when my computer sleeps]

Anyway, I did a search and found a solution that worked for me, so I
thought I would share in case anyone else had the same problem.

I've found the solution:

   1. Close the "App Store" App
   2. Open "Terminal"
   3. Enter defaults write com.apple.appstore ShowDebugMenu -bool true
   4. Open the "App Store" app
   5. Now you have in the menu-item "Debug" - open it - and open "Show
   Download Folder"
   6. Delete all files and folders in the folder "com.apple.appstore"
   7. Close the "App Store" app
   8. Restart the Mac
   9. Clean the trash bin
   10. Open the "App Store" app an repeat the download.

Now the download should work!

If you want to hide the debug-menu again just enter in Terminal:
defaults write com.apple.appstore ShowDebugMenu -bool false
http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/208488/el-captain-update-download-doesnt-continue-after-restarting-the-mac

The trick in my case was to delete the stuff in the enclosing folder
com.apple.appstore The one inside it had nothing.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013)
Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB
OSX 10.11