Hello Ronni,

Thanks for the information and it could well be the problem, however the
message I get from the Open Print Queue is:
Printing - the printer is not responding.  No mention of Filter Failed

Yet in Options and Supplies, I can see all the levels of ink remaining, so the
printer IS able to be viewed by the computer

Console says:
31/10/2015 8:59:35.232 AM Safari[681]: Printing from application:
com.apple.Safari, to printer: Generic PostScript Printer, with the advanced
dialog.
OSActivityID: 0x0000000000001f80
com.apple.message.result: success
com.apple.message.signature: Advanced dialog
com.apple.message.domain: com.apple.printing.printdialog.printdialogtype
com.apple.message.signature2: com.apple.Safari
com.apple.message.signature3: Generic PostScript Printer
SenderMachUUID: A64D83D7-F48D-35BD-B9E8-0B8901DE58A6

As you see, I am using the Generic PostScript Printer driver that loads with
the Add Printer box. Who makes the Generic Postscript Driver?  Are Apple likely
to provide an updated generic printer driver to go with 10.11, or maybe that is
not really the problem as applied to me.

It’s a Dell 3110CN printer, and they don’t support Macs with their drivers. The
latest Dell driver I have tried is for a different model Dell printer and dated
December 2014. Same result.  Computer can apparently connect correctly, but
when it comes to the printer receiving information, that’s when the problem
occurs.

I’m not able to put more time into testing this today, as I am also rebuilding
the MacPro1,1 to be running El Capitan. I had early success, but after updating
an Invidia graphics driver it’s all gone to pot….. :-(   Meaning it’s stuck on
the start up screen and due to the different boot.efi file I had to install to
run El Capitan, Safe mode simply creates a black screen of text. But that’s
another issue, and I’m not seeking support for that one - it’s my own little
challenge.

Re the printer, my plan is to run the C6300BD Gateway Max cable modem/router in
Bridge mode and get my Airport Extreme to distribute IP addresses and run the
printer. This worked in the past, so I will see how it goes - but later
tomorrow.

Thanks again

Tim