> On 30 Nov 2015, at 4:24 PM, Severin Crisp <sevcr...@westnet.com.au> wrote:
>
> I am very much an iPhone novice!  Twice now it has uploaded/or dowloaded?
> $40+ of data (20 or more GB!)with no trace of what it was and its origin or
> destination.  This is happening, but more slowly when data roaming is off.
> With no activity by me there is a slow drain.  I believe that I have turned
> off everything in sight.
> Can anyone point me asm to how to trace the culprit please?

Hi Severin,

Are you using iOS 9.1?

Monitor Cellular Data Usage
In Settings > Mobile, under Use Mobile Data For, iOS lists every app that has
used cellular data, along with a tally of how much data it has used since you
last tapped the Reset Statistics button at the bottom of the screen.

Disable Cellular Data by App
iOS gives you ultimate control over whether an app is allowed to transfer data
over a cellular connection.
Tap Settings > Mobile, and under Use Mobile Data For, turn off the switch for
any app that you don’t want using cellular data, perhaps because it chews data
in the background. If you disable cellular data for an app, it won’t be able to
use cellular data for any purpose.

Stop Automatic Downloads
When you buy an app, ebook, or music from Apple, it downloads to your device
automatically. It can also automatically download to all your devices, so long
as they are signed in with the same Apple ID. For example, if you bought an
ebook from Apple’s iBooks Store on your iPad, it may have downloaded
automatically to your iPhone. Although this feature is convenient, it can eat
data quickly.

To disable automatic downloads—and turn off automatic app updates—toggle the
appropriate switch in Settings > iTunes & App Stores.

Disable Cellular Data for Automatic Downloads
What if you want to enable automatic downloads, but you don’t want them to
happen over your cellular data connection? Go to Settings > App and iTunes
Stores, and turn off Use Mobile Data.
With this option disabled, items for which you’ve turned on automatic downloads
(music, apps, books, or app updates) will download only over Wi-Fi.

Stop Background App Refresh
Introduced in iOS 7, Background App Refresh keeps certain apps updated even
when they’re in the background. While this feature keeps app content fresh and
saves you from waiting for data to load when you launch an app, it can also eat
data without you realising.
You can disable Background App Refresh entirely, or on a per-app basis, in
Settings > General > Background App Refresh.

Limit iCloud Data Usage
Some iCloud services (shown in Settings > iCloud, if the device is signed in to
an iCloud account) can use a lot of data, including Photos, Safari, News, and
Backup (backups happen over Wi- Fi only). Consider disabling these services if
you don’t use them.

If you use iCloud Drive  - (NOTE: I don’t use iCloud Drive)
If you’re having trouble staying under a data cap, disable Use Cellular Data at
the bottom of Settings > iCloud > iCloud Drive. If cellular data is off, your
iCloud Drive documents will sync next time the device has a Wi-Fi connection.

Turn Down the Music
The Music app can consume an overwhelming amount of data, especially if you use
Apple Music, iCloud Music Library, iTunes Match, or listen to online radio.

Tap Settings > Music to find two options for controlling Music’s cellular
bandwidth usage:
• Turning off Use Cellular Data will not only eliminate the app’s mobile data
usage, but also leave you without downloadable tunes in the Music app while
you’re out and about.
• If you keep Use Cellular Data on, you can turn off High Quality on Cellular
to lesson the impact on your data cap.