Hi Severin,

My comments in Situ below

> On 4 Feb 2016, at 4:43 PM, Severin Crisp <sevcr...@westnet.com.au> wrote:
>
> I always have an unexplained on going battle in setting up new Mail accounts
> - it just does not like me!
> I constantly get the message unable to verify username or password.  Yes, I
> am aware of the way it sets incoming mail server correctly as westnet and
> outgoing one as bigpond - fixed that.

Is this a POP or IMAP email account?
Is Westnet your ISP or Bigpond?
If  Westnet is your service provider both incoming (POP/IMAP) & Outgoing (SMTP)
are mail.westnet.com.au <http://mail.westnet.com.au/>
Port Type   - Port number to use  - Requires Authentication?
Incoming (POP)          110                             Yes, username & password
Incoming (IMAP) 143                             Yes, username & password
Outgoing (SMTP) 25                              No
Outgoing (SMTP roaming server) 587      No

* If you have a Westnet mailbox, but your internet connection is with another
provider (Bigpond), you’ll need to set the incoming mail server as listed above
in order to receive email.

To send emails, you’ll need to either:

A) Set your outgoing mail server as listed above, and ensure that “outgoing
authentication is enabled, using the username and password” for your Westnet
email account; or

B) Set your outgoing mail server as listed below according to your internet
service provider, with outgoing authentication disabled (unless noted)
mail.bigpond.com <http://mail.bigpond.com/>

> Is there anything special about passwords for new accounts?  The one I am
> trying to set up has a mixture of upper and lower case plus numbers.

I don’t think the password is your problem.
As long as the password has NO symbols just upper and lower case letters and or
numbers.
No full stops, comma's etc.

> All seems to match existing accounts that work.  The only anomaly, which
> comes when I try to delete the offending account, is a reference to use of
> iCloud Keychain.  To my knowledge I am not using it but who knows!
Check Safari > Preferences > Passwords
Also, Open Keychain Access  - Under Keychains - iCloud Keychain?