Hi Walter,

There is no trick about using Airdrop - I've used Airdrop all the time without
any problems.
I Airdrop my workday files from my ‘out on the road’ MBA to my 17” MBP each
night or at least every couple of days.
If you don't see the recipient in the AirDrop window or sheet:

Make sure that both devices have AirDrop turned on and are within 30 feet (9
meters) of each other.

If the receiving Mac is using OS X Mavericks, Mountain Lion, or Lion, it needs
to have an AirDrop window open:

 choose Go > AirDrop from the menu bar in the Finder.

If the receiving Mac is a 2012 or older model, click “Don't see who you're
looking for?” in the AirDrop window or sharing sheet of the sending Mac. Then
click “Search for an Older Mac.”

Find out if the Mac has “Block all incoming connections” turned on in Security
& Privacy preferences. A Mac won't receive items using AirDrop if this setting
is turned on.

If AirDrop on the receiving device is set up to receive items from contacts
only, make sure that both devices are signed in to iCloud. Also make sure that
the email address or phone number assocated with your Apple ID is in the
Contacts app of the receiving device.