Hi Stephen,

No direct experience but you are obviously not alone:

Googling problems with External Drives and El Capitan shows up LOTS of hits
­ some seem to confirm a compatibility problem between El Capitan and some
external drives ­ including Iomega. I haven¹t delved too deep into these
posts but typically when googling these problems you find:
* Some which are irrelevant (different problem)
* Some which may be relevant but aren¹t too useful.
* Some which seem to describe the same problem ­ but are still unsolved.
* Some which seem to describe the same problem ­ and describe solutions
which have worked for some people.

Occasionally, in the last category, I find solutions that work for me ;o)

One post which was raised about a Iomega Helium 1Tb disk and which seems
relevant is here:
<https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7258451?start=0&tstart=0>

One guy (not the original poster) reports:
My Iomega drive is also not recognized under El Capitan.  Works fine on
Yosemite.  I took it into the Apple Store and they confirmed it doesn't work
on any of their El Capitan machines either.  Looks like it is a
compatibility issue.  Haven't found a work around yet.

Have you checked to see if the disk(s) are still recognised/mountable on a
Yosemite machine?
If so, it might avoid the sledge-hammer if you can wipe the disk under
Yosemite and find a good home with a Yosemite (or earlier) machine.

Actually, the same guy then reports a solution:
> I Spoke to the Iomega guys last night. The only thing they could think of was
> that Apple may (for some unknown reason) have reduced the USB port voltage
> with El Capitan. They suggested attaching a USB power supply to the drive's
> secondary port on the Y cable and seeing if that fixes the problem. I'm
> traveling right now so won't be able to test until tomorrow.
and then:
> I tested it and it worked.  I used a Lithium Ion USB battery (the kind you use
> to recharge your phone on the go) and connected it to the spare pigtail on the
> Y cable.  The drive was immediately recognized in El Capitan.  Looks like it
> is definitely a current/voltage problem on the USB port on the Mac - looks
> like the OS changed something.

Of course, this may not be YOUR problem ­ but worth a try?

On another forum
<http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/external-hard-drives-dont-show-up-in-el
-capitan-unresolved.1891746/page-2>
One guy says:
> I had this problem as well - my late 2013 iMac did not recognize external USB
> drive after I upgraded to OS X 10.11 El Capitan. After restarting several
> times with no success, I moved the external drive to my Airport Extreme base
> station, which has a USB port of its own, and I was able to access it via WiFi
> in Finder.

> Subsequent to that, I moved the external drive back to the USB port on my
> iMac, and voila, it finally appeared on my desktop and in Finder, like normal.
> Not sure if moving it to the Airport Extreme to access it wirelessly had
> anything to do with it, but I thought I'd post this, in case it helps someone
> else. Do know, at least, that you can access your external hard drive data via
> WiFi if you really need to get to it.
This could also indicate for the USB problem (above) - since the Airport
Extreme would still be outputting the original USB voltage.

Somebody else had this to say:
> It seems that the os is trying to repair the external disk (see the fsck_???
> process in the activity monitor - with 99%) from the moment it is connected in
> the usb. I killed the process and the disk were mounted but in read only mode.
> After that I reconnect the drive and waited for the process to end, and after
> some minutes (~10) it appeared mounted on the desktop.
>
> After the long wait, I never encountered the same problem with the external
> disk again.

This post runs to 4 pages and many different types of disk and many other
³solutions² - I will not bore by listing them all here but you may find it
worth reading through and trying some of them...?

HTH

Cheers

Neil
--