I attempted to tidy up the desktop on my MacBook Pro by creating new Folders,
naming them, and dragging and dropping into the new Folders the various items
I’d saved on the Desktop.

For some reason (a) various items that I had not dragged into a Folder are now
in the Folder, (b) each new Folder contains a folder which has the same name as
the Folder on the desktop and (c) each of the folders within a Folder contains
the same items as are in the Folder I created.

What has gone wrong, and how can I correct it?

MacBook Pro 17 inch, late 2011
2.4 GHz intel Core i7
8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Yosemite version 10.10.5