Good morning Ronni,

Yes, I did as you advised and recreated the envelope index database and
imported messages. The "Sent" mailbox still does not include any mail sent
prior to when the box was emptied. After I'd recreated the index database and
imported messages I installed
Avira which reported three alerts.

The reason I thought about going to iiNet was that last year Westnet suggested
I rationalise my email connections, which I did. I've had intermittent email
problems ever since.

I also learned a sad fact of life yesterday - it seems to be all but impossible
to buy an external drive which has a FireWire connection port and so my backup
yesterday was done using USB 2.

Cheers,

Michael

Sent from my iPhone

> On 9 Jul 2016, at 7:39 AM, Ronda Brown <ro...@mac.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Michael,
>
> The problems are not related to your ISP iiNet connection. The problems are
> on your operating system, your computer.
>
> Did you complete the recreating of the Envelope Index database following my
>
> quit Mail, navigate to ~/Library/ Mail/V2/MailData and drag the files
> Envelope Index, Envelope Index- shm, and Envelope Index-wal to the Trash.
>
> Then Open Mail again, it’ll tell you that you need to “import” all your
> messages (just as it may have done when you upgraded from Mavericks to
> Yosemite).
> Let it do so—it’s recreating your envelope index from scratch.
>
> Do you have any third party software installed, or Anti-Virus like Sophos?
>
> Cheers,
> Ronni
>
> Sent from Ronni's iPad4
>
>> On 8 Jul 2016, at 2:39 PM, Michael Hawkins
>> <michael.hawk...@mjhawkins.com.au> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Ronni, I’ll do as you’ve suggested.
>>
>> I’ve just tried to backup by using SuperDuper, and have received the
>> following error message:
>>
>> | 11:31:41 AM | Info |       Unable to open source file
>> /Users/michael/Library/Mail/V2/pop-hawk...@mail.iinet.net.au/INBOX.mbox/903F6D09-E1B5-4CC2-92F6-0CD83639ACEC/Data/4/1/Messages/14557.emlx
>>  due to error: 13, Permission denied
>> | 11:31:41 AM | Info |       Error copying
>> /Users/michael/Library/Mail/V2/pop-hawk...@mail.iinet.net.au/INBOX.mbox/903F6D09-E1B5-4CC2-92F6-0CD83639ACEC/Data/4/1/Messages/14557.emlx
>>  to /Volumes/My Passport for
>> Mac/Users/michael/Library/Mail/V2/pop-hawk...@mail.iinet.net.au/INBOX.mbox/903F6D09-E1B5-4CC2-92F6-0CD83639ACEC/Data/4/1/Messages/14557.emlx
>>  of type 8 due to error 13
>> | 11:31:41 AM | Error | SDCopy: Error copying
>> /Users/michael/Library/Mail/V2/pop-hawk...@mail.iinet.net.au/INBOX.mbox/903F6D09-E1B5-4CC2-92F6-0CD83639ACEC/Data/4/1/Messages/14557.emlx
>>  to /Volumes/My Passport for
>> Mac/Users/michael/Library/Mail/V2/pop-hawk...@mail.iinet.net.au/INBOX.mbox/903F6D09-E1B5-4CC2-92F6-0CD83639ACEC/Data/4/1/Messages/14557.emlx
>>  of type 8 due to error 13: Permission denied
>>

>> Looks like I may have to go to iinet to get something sorted out.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Michael.

>>> On your Desktop - Click on Finder > Preferences in Menu Bar top left
>>> Select  General - Show these items on the desktop
>>> Select ✔ all Hard disks, External disks, CDs, DVDs, and iPods, Connected
>>> servers
>>>
>>> Also still in Finder Preferences - check Sidebar & Advanced that your
>>> settings are as you want.
>>>
>>> Deleting the Desktop Preference file to fix your other problem, can cause
>>> some settings to change back to default.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Ronni
>>>
>>> 13-inch MacBook Air (April 2014)
>>> 1.7GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost to 3.3GHz
>>> 8GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM