Hi Brian,

Just checking if your problem has been fixed as haven't heard back from you.

Are these Data_Rebuild size 32GB, and Data_Rebuild-1 size 29GB, folders visible
in the User's ~/Library/Mail/V3/ folder?

If so, I would suspect they are failed rebuilds and can be deleted.
1. Quit Mail first  (I take it you have a current BACKUP! just in case)
2. Then delete the Data_Rebuild folders
3. Open Mail and check all is ok.

But you do need to clear off some GBs of files from your hard drive, as I also
need to on my MacBook Air which only has 90GB free.

13-inch MacBook Air (April 2014)
1.7GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost to 3.3GHz
8GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
512GB PCIe-based Flash Storage

El Capitan OS X 10.11.5