Hi Rob, I've recently put a third party 1tb SSD HD in my older 13" Retina
MacBook Pro. The original HD was 128gigs. The new HD was about $500, plus
installation.  A cheaper option than upgrading to a new laptop, and 1tb wasn't
much more expensive than the 500g drive.

My take on this is that the speed of the SSD drives makes up for the smaller
sizes and USB 3 ports mean external drives can be used successfully for my
large database of photos with Lightroom and Photoshop. Also for video editing.

Cheers, Susan.

Sent from my iPad