Hi Walter, don't know how to tell if the drive is defective, but if it
is, you're better off getting an external CD drive (eg Samsung, $80?)
rather than getting the internal drive replaced ($300??). And the
external drive Apple sell won't work with older iMacs, only with the
newer iMacs which were supplied without an internal drive. Cheers --

David Noel