-- Thanks so much, Ronni, I'm not exactly sure what happened, but I
followed your instructions till I got somehow to SSL Certificate Checker at
https://www.digicert.com/help/
and when I typed in "google.com" it came back with a clear certificate, and
then Google worked OK. Same for Apple and Youtube.

-- I'm forever in awe with how you solve these problems! Sorry I mistakenly
said my OS was El Capitan, I am on Sierra 10.12.1. I did click "Software
Update" on "About this Mac" and it reported "No updates available", so
maybe you have a later version from another source.

All the very best, David.