Thanks to everyone for their contributions to this minor problem.  I don’t feel
confident enough to tackle the replacement myself but will study the
instructions given and see what transpires.  Unfortunately, upgrading the Mac
Mini to a new model will not do the job as Apple, and many other computer
makers, have dropped the optical drive from their latest models.  That would
require the additional purchase of an external DVD drive.

Oh Woe Is Me !!!

Regards

John Thompson