Hi Alan,
Check your mail account settings.
IMAP settings for Telstra Mail™
IMAP is the recommended setting for Telstra Mail customers

Account type

Account type: IMAP
Incoming server details

Incoming server address: imap.telstra.com
Incoming server port: 993
Encrypted connection: SSL
Outgoing server details

Outgoing server address: smtp.telstra.com
Outgoing server port: 465 (recommended) or 587
SMTP authentication: On
Encrypted connection: SSL/TLS on port 465 (recommended) or STARTTLS on port 587
Username & Password

Enter your full email address (ending in ‘@bigpond.com’, ‘@bigpond.net.au’ or
‘@telstra.com’)
Enter your Telstra email account password (case sensitive)
Other settings to check

Ensure the checkbox is ticked for ‘Outgoing server requires authentication’.

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email/set-up/set-up-telstra-email-on-the-bigpond-platform-on-your-tablet-or-mobile

<https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email/set-up/set-up-telstra-email-on-the-bigpond-platform-on-your-tablet-or-mobile>>

<https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email/set-up/set-up-telstra-mail-on-mac-osx-10.10-and-above

<https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email/set-up/set-up-telstra-mail-on-mac-osx-10.10-and-above>>

13-inch MacBook Air (April 2014)
1.7GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost to 3.3GHz
8GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
512GB PCIe-based Flash Storage

macOS Sierra 10.12.3