HI there, my son James is finding his MBP is quite slow when doing high demand
activities, video and photo editing etc. He is also in Y11 and finds his MBP
lags behind peers in a classroom environment but I don’t think it is any or
much slower than a late 2011 MBP would be if it were straight out of the box
today. His HDD is less than half full, running Sierra 10.12.4 and 2.4GHz intel
core i5 4GB ram with 500GB HDD.

I am thinking there are two paths to take but financial impact will be
significant in deciding what to do. Either a later model MBP swap which is
faster than current item or an SSD/ram upgrade for his 2011 MBP. I've
researched a bit and figure for ~$250 I can fit a 250GB SSD and 2X4GB Ram cards
and this will bring it to a good speed level I think. But this will still leave
it as a 2011 MBP.

Does anyone have any recommendation of what later model MBP I might target that
will give equivalent speed to my proposed upgraded 2011 MBP result?

Peter Crisp
petercr...@westnet.com.au