Folks, I have NBN at my house (FTTP) and I purchased a 100mbps download plan.
I’ve noted before on the group here I NEVER get that downoad speed even when
connected via ethernet to the NBN modem in my house. More like 65mbps is the
best I’ve seen. So I am starting from a poistion of not being entirely happy
with this service.

To the NBN modem, I have my Time Capsule attached to which the users in the
house all connect to the 5GHz network emanating from it. It is located in a
room immediately adjacent to the living area for best service but has a wall
between that room and the living area. I get ~35mbps using the iPhone Speedtest
app when in the living area.

My Dad handed me down an Airport Express some time back which I set up as an
extender (in number 2 son’s room) to the TC Wifi network and didn’t really pay
much attention to the download rate before or after that.

My kids from their rooms have been saying service is lousy down their end of
the house - approximately 20m down the hall but numerous walls between the TC
and their rooms. Last night I checked and in one room (number 1 son - across
the hall from #2 son with extender in his room) I got 0.3 mbps (correct - 0.3
mbps). In number 2 son’s room I got ~0.9mbps. So confirming their “lousy
service” assertions. I did some online searching and others report similar
experiences with extenders not really helping the situation. But maybe my
settings are not optimal as they should be and room for improvement there.

Some of the people online who have experienced this have recommended either a
long ethernet cable to physically connect the extender to the base OR an
ethernet over power cabling device.

Does anyone have any wisdom on this and recommended actions. I am happy to
spend money to fix the problem but want to target expenditure to the right
solution.

Regards

Pete