A serious question about a hypothetical situation - -

Is it possible for me to use the App Store Purchased history list to download
(and then install) El Capitan (10.11) on another iMac that has Mavericks (10.9)
installed?

The background info:

The App Store Purchased tab lists all apps associated with a particular Apple
ID.  Compatible apps installed on one iMac display the option to INSTALL on
another iMac. The purchased history of macOS (OS X) releases up to El Capitan
display the option to DOWNLOAD.

I’m having trouble downloading and installing High Sierra to my late 2009 iMac
with Mavericks.  The Purchased history displays OS X releases from Mountain
Lion to El Capitan which were installed on my late 2012 iMac.  This raises the
possibility they could be used for the older iMac.

Some extra info that may be relevant in deciding to upgrade: In 2015 I had
problems with the installation and later version update of Yosemite (10.10).
MacWizardry found Yosemite was unstable and reverted to Mavericks.  (It’s been
very reliable since, Daniel.). This might indicate an unresolved obscure
internal problem that is also causing issues with installing High Sierra.  I
never tried to install El Capitan on this computer.

Cheers
Alan.